Tuesday, July 25, 2017

A walk in Africa with Theo

Dec 2015
My son Theo turns 4 years on the day of this photo. Adorned in African fabric and colors, they take a walk in the street of Nairobi in a sunny afternoon with his mother, Lilian.
Just on the right hand side of  the Lilian is Awino. Theo and Lilian's hands are clinched together as they take a saunter down the street. They are not dressed unless its Kitenge, the face of African Fabric, the fashion and style that defines us.
We all have to be proud of our continent, our color and our way of life.
Back home I waited  calmly for the beautiful people to arrive. I couldn't do without the African touch in my shirt and pants.

I was composing this poem as they came

My fingers linger on screen so keen
Like the steps of yo feet in the street
Yo eyes see the blue sea we will swim
Bring no whim, lets break the barrier
Kutenda ni kitenge....sasa  tumetenga .
The O is Theo O give to Okech.

No comments:

Post a Comment